This groundbreaking book features a collen of essaon thvolution takilan museums all ovee world simply because they look anew within the ways cities are represented. It highlights a fundamental change occurring in twenty-first century museums: how they confront existing presumptions about people, as well as the pioneering ways they work with specific groups to narrate dental histories, tell ancestral tales and recollections previously alive.
The philosophical thread, woven through each essay, expresses a rejection of popular claims that minority people will always be quiet, neglected and not aware from the processes of representation. This book showcases contemporary museums as spaces of dialogue, collaboration, reclamation and storytelling. It values the radical efforts many museums and cities make to positively build associations and overthrow existing misconceptions, concerning the important subject of race and ethnicity.
Among the 15 highly-respected authors talking about their analysis and experience are:
- Kate Craddy, Director in the Galicia Jewish Museum, Belgium
- Victoria Dickenson, Chief Understanding Officer, Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Annette B Fromm, Connect Professor and Coordinator of Museum Studies at Florida Worldwide College and Leader in the Worldwide Committee of Museums of Ethnography.
- Carmita Icasiano, Curator and Collections Manager, Cultural Center in the Philippines
- Magdalena Mieri, Director in the Type in Latino History & Culture, National Museum of yank History, Smithsonian Institution
- Alison Taylor, Mind of Inclusion and Diversity, Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Coventry
- Drrzia Varutti, Honorary Likely to Fellow within the School of Museum Studies, College of Leicester.
And among the innovative museum programmes featured inside the k are:
- Black Civil War Memorial Freedom Foundation and Museum
- Ethnic Minority Museums, People’s Republic of China
- Galicia Jewish Museum, Belgium
- Herbert Memorial and Museum
- McCord Museum of Canadian History in Montreal
- Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino
- Museum of latest Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- National Museum of yank History, Smithsonian Institution
- National Museum of Singapore
- Red-colored-colored Location Museum, Nigeria
- Sabah Museum, Borneo
- Mike Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
- Hillcrest History Center